First Build Black SNES (CS)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Phiro13

First Build Black SNES (CS)

Post by Phiro13 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:41 am

Hello everybody,

I recently built my first "GameBoy Zero" using Kite's Circuit Sword and wanted to share it with you guys.

About a half year ago I saw Wermys video about building a GameBoy on which you can play all your childhood games in such a nice and comfortable way. I was totally hooked and did a little research, discovered this forum and just wanted to have my own one. I'm a big Nintendo fan since childhood and gathered a nice little GameBoy collection and own a few other SNES and NES stuff, but not that much. A GameBoy Zero would fit very nice in my collection.
After reading almost every post in this forum and ordering thousands of parts from the whole globe, finally the last part - the Circuit Sword arrived and I started building.

My intention for my built was to have an almost fabric look and haptic. People who aren't into GameBoy Zeros shouldn't recognize this is self-made. So I used an original case, original SNES-Controller Buttons, original D-Pad and back buttons, even the on/off switch and start and select buttons are the original Gameboy ones. That's also the reason why I used the dot matrix with stereo sound screen surround.

The built went pretty well without any big problem and the software part was super easy too, although I didn't have had any experience with Ras-pies or coding and stuff. After a few hundred times opening and closing and testing, everything fitted together perfectly without any pressure or gaps. It was amazing to see Super Mario Kart running flawless for the first time on my device and I couldn't stop smiling!

Last but not least I want to thank the whole community for being so friendly and helpful! I never experienced such a way of communication in any other forum. Special thanks to Kite, Wermy, Erik G, YaYa, HollyHoo and all others who helped me and made this possible! Although I didn't use any part I ordered and got some left overs. With some of them I definitely build another one and the preorder is already placed.

For my next built I want to improve the quality of the product, the next one shall be absolutely perfect and I take my time for it. I've seen a few very nice ideas from absolutely amazing builts of other forum member and want to adapt a few things on mine. For example the SNES style look with the dark grey circle around the front buttons or wireless charging etc., I got o lot of ideas spinning around in my head, but time will come and we see what can be realized - maybe with the help of the forum.

Again thank you all very much and please have a look what I came up with:
SpoilerShow
Parts.jpg
Parts
Parts.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Inner Front Layout.jpg
Inner Front Layout
Inner Front Layout.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Assembled Front.jpg
Assembled Front
Assembled Front.jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Assembled Back.jpg
Assembled Back
Assembled Back.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Front.jpg
Front
Front.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Back.jpg
Back
Back.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Right.jpg
Right
Right.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Left.jpg
Left
Left.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
GameBoy Brothers Front.jpg
GameBoy Brothers
GameBoy Brothers Front.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Gameboy Family.jpg
GameBoy Family
Gameboy Family.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
SpoilerShow
Gamboy Family Picture.jpg
GameBoy Family Picture
Gamboy Family Picture.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 7516 times
Last edited by Phiro13 on Thu May 09, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phiro13

Re: The dark side of GameBoy

Post by Phiro13 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 am

Hi everyone,

I got the first (hopeful not) bigger problem with my Circuit Sword. WiFi isn't working any more, when it boots up to Emulation Station the WiFi icon shows up very shortly and it's X-ed out.
I did a few updates before and installed a few emulators, just playing around and try to learn how things work.
At one time the Pie booted in a an other way, it looked like a system check from 0-100% with a lot of lines.
Now I don't know if that cursed the WiFi problem.
WiFi chip was already covered with capton tape from the beginning and after recognizing the problem I even trimmed down the solder points from the HDMI-board and covered them with several layers of capton tape (not shown in the pictures from first post). I already tried an other SD-card with a fresh installation of Kites retropie File - after that I could see alle the WiFi Networks in my area but connecting failed. After this the Networks didn't appear anymore.
Also the Wifi LED which is shortly blue (and was when the WiFi worked before) turns into red/orange and stays.

I tried to search the forum about this problem but didin't find any similar (please correct me) and hope someone knows more than me and would be very thankful for any help!
Btw every other Emulator and menus are running flawless.

eyefire

Post by eyefire » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:43 am

where did you find the black case with pink lettering? Mine is a blue/purple.

NimbleJoshua

Post by NimbleJoshua » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Looks almost factory with Kite's PCBs. I also never noticed how good a black shell + colored ABXY looked together. Awesome job!

rogerfliporian

Post by rogerfliporian » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:55 pm

eyefire wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:43 am
That's an original (real) Game Boy case.
Nice color palette for sure!

silentjames

Post by silentjames » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 pm

eyefire wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:43 am
This is original gameboy case from Play It Loud! series.

djascher

Post by djascher » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 pm

That's quite the collection of black gameboys!!!

Phiro13

Post by Phiro13 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 am

I solved my wifi problem and I‘m almost too embarrassed to tell. The wifi was just disabled via button combo. I feel so dumb and simultaneously so glad it works. By this I could learn a lot about how things work. Now I finish my built completely from software site. And looking forward to build the next one.

JohnnyGunn

Post by JohnnyGunn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Where did you get that grey glass?