MintyPi Won't Power On

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
MCS-Kaijin

MintyPi Won't Power On

Post by MCS-Kaijin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:01 pm

I've built my MintyPi, but it won't turn on. Usually. Sometimes it does, but then it'll randomly shut off and sometimes restart and other times not. I've tested my connection from the battery to the charger, from the charger to the switch, from the switch to the VCC pad, and from the charger to VCC as well as the connection from the battery/charger to ground. It's currently not working after randomly shutting off earlier tonight.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: MintyPi Won't Power On

Post by Helder » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:34 am

Show us your wiring, could be a faulty GND. Try to solder a few additional GND GPIO from the Pi to the controller PCB. There is one right below the 'A' button GPIO.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:11 am

Unplanned on/off could have destroyed your SD card. Try to use a new image. Even if you have to de-assemble your pi for this...

MCS-Kaijin

Post by MCS-Kaijin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Sorry I didn't get back earlier, my stuff was all glitching out and I didn't even see there were replies to this until just now. I got my Pi working, but just this morning it quit working again. When I plug my power source directly into the power port on the Raspbery Pi itself, it boots up perfectly fine. It seems like power isn't making it to the board, but I could be wrong. Here's a picture of my wiring. My multimeter says my GND connection is good.
Attachments
20180719_211619.jpg
My wiring
20180719_211619.jpg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 10122 times

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Check:
-Your power switch function
-Your battery positve soldering to the charging board
-Just in general check your ground connection between PI and mintypi board

MCS-Kaijin

Post by MCS-Kaijin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 pm

With the power switch, I get continuity from the charger to the PCB when it's switched on and not when it's off. I noticed the battery positive wire is a bit frayed, but the multimeter says it all should still work. As for the ground connection, I have three pins connected (including the labelled one) and they all tested good. I don't have the proper solder with me to try to better the positive connection, but it seems like it should work.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:10 pm

When powered from the battery make sure there is voltage at the Pi 5v GPIO which is labeled on the mintyPi pcb. If there isn't that might not be soldered well to the pcb.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

MCS-Kaijin

Post by MCS-Kaijin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks for your help. I took it to a buddy who is better at soldering than me to check my connections and I told him what you said. He re-soldered one of the pins and it works now. Thank you.