Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
rivera82falcon

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by rivera82falcon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm

neolith wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:47 pm
rivera82falcon wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:19 pm
moooarcuuuus wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:20 pm
I cannot attach stp and stl-files so here is it:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-12 ... 1.stp.html
https://www.file-upload.net/download-12 ... 1.stl.html

Do these files still exist? I just need the bottom half (the control section) so I can use copper paper to make my connections.

EDIT: Copied the wrong post. Fixed now.
Does this help?
Yeah, this is a great start. I still need to learn how to use these programs so this can be a good way to figure out how to convert this to an stl file. I see the option to do so but it's always greyed out so I have some reading to do. Thank you!

Edit:

I imported it into Fusion 360 but I can only extrude the circles and not the whole sketch. What am I missing?

neolith

Post by neolith » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 pm

rivera82falcon wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm
I imported it into Fusion 360 but I can only extrude the circles and not the whole sketch. What am I missing?
You are not missing anything – I did. The lines in the main shape are not closed. Only closed splines can be extruded. I didn't notice since I never used them for modelling, sorry. :?

To get something you can extrude you can either create a new shape step by step along the existing lines or you can weld the lines together. As far as I know Fusion is not capable of welding splines though. You could use an exported .DXF to get the spline into other software.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

rivera82falcon

Post by rivera82falcon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:43 pm

neolith wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 pm
rivera82falcon wrote:
You are not missing anything – I did. The lines in the main shape are not closed. Only closed splines can be extruded. I didn't notice since I never used them for modelling, sorry. :?

To get something you can extrude you can either create a new shape step by step along the existing lines or you can weld the lines together. As far as I know Fusion is not capable of welding splines though. You could use an exported .DXF to get the spline into other software.
No worries! I'll take a look at the lines and make a new one since I need to learn this stuff. I'll get to it soon as I need to figure out why my 3d printer is being a turd and printing the first couple of layers all jacked up. Thank you again!

hoopstar

Post by hoopstar » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:37 am

Fan-bloody-tastic work Neolith..!!

Any chance you can post the files as .iam files (Autodesk Inventor)..?

rivera82falcon

Post by rivera82falcon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:44 am

neolith wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 pm
rivera82falcon wrote:

Okay, I finally got a chance to mess around with Fusion 360 and your instructions. I think everything is now good but I won't be able to test print it til I get home later. I'm gonna upload everything in case someone else wants to use or modify things. The file is going to look sloppy I'm sure but I have to start somewhere. The stl file looks fine in Cura but again I won't be able to test print til later today.

Thank you again for helping me out. I hope this jump starts me to do more now.
Attachments
Gameboy Controller.7z
(454.72 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:44 pm

hoopstar wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:37 am
Fan-bloody-tastic work Neolith..!!

Any chance you can post the files as .iam files (Autodesk Inventor)..?
Unfortunately Fusion 360 does not seem to support exporting to that format. The web exporter does have an option for .IPT files for Inventor 2016 though. Here is the file I got from Autodesk, maybe it'll help you.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm

rivera82falcon wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:44 am
Okay, I finally got a chance to mess around with Fusion 360 and your instructions. I think everything is now good but I won't be able to test print it til I get home later. I'm gonna upload everything in case someone else wants to use or modify things. The file is going to look sloppy I'm sure but I have to start somewhere. The stl file looks fine in Cura but again I won't be able to test print til later today.

Thank you again for helping me out. I hope this jump starts me to do more now.
Glad I could help. :) And thanks for sharing!

rivera82falcon

Post by rivera82falcon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Printed it up just now quickly and although it looks like crap (still figuring out issues with my 3D printer), the print comes out fitting with no known issues. I'm redoing it now on a high quality setting and so far the holes are printing with no trouble.

Thank you again, Neolith!
Attachments
20180904_144424.png
20180904_144424.png (833.47 KiB) Viewed 17255 times

Kuusetsu

Post by Kuusetsu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm

So from my experience printing this on both a Dremel 3D20 and my Anycubic Kossel Plus, the default scaling of the model's button wells is just a hair too small, but the print otherwise seems to be the right size. Are DMG buttons not supposed to fit?

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Kuusetsu wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:49 pm
So from my experience printing this on both a Dremel 3D20 and my Anycubic Kossel Plus, the default scaling of the model's button wells is just a hair too small, but the print otherwise seems to be the right size. Are DMG buttons not supposed to fit?
Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems with the model.

Yes, the original DMG buttons are suposed to fit. I just checked the CAD model, the holes are 10.75mm in diameter. The is exactly the same diameter as the holes in my two original Game Boy DMG cases. Is it possible that the plastic in the print slightly deformed when cooling? That would be one explanation. Another might be that not all original DMG cases (and hence probably not all buttons) are exactly the same size. Some are off by half a millimeter or so in some parts. And so are repro cases.

Either way, if you want to edit the model, the .F3D format comes with the whole edit history and should allow you to adjust the model to your needs without too much trouble.