Minty Pi v3 FAQ

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
LilTrublMakr

Minty Pi v3 FAQ

Post by LilTrublMakr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:35 pm

I will try to get the most frequently asked questions in one place... If you see something that should be added, please feel free to PM me here or ping me on the Discord server (probably the better option). I will try to post all the sources I can find also.

Q: When will preorders begin?
A: Early-mid December. There was a hiccup with parts that are being fixed. (As of Nov 24th)
Keep an eye on here, Wermy's Instagram, and Helder's Instagram for more info.
Another 2 weeks. A part that was chosen is now no longer being made. A new part is now being sourced. (Source) (As of Nov 10)

Q: How long after preorders close will shipping begin?
A: About 2 months. This wait is to get all the parts ordered, in, bundled, and packaged. (Source)

Q: How much will v3 cost?
A: The kit is estimated to be about $90. (Source) This will include the PCB, L/R button board, power board, headphone jack, speaker, 2.6" LCD Screen, the LCD PCB, and ribbon cable. (Source) This is for the kit only. This does not include the price for the items listed in the next question or the custom battery or tax/shipping. Overall estimated cost for everything is about $140.

Q: What parts will I need to buy?
A:
Helder wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:54 pm
So I figured I'd post what you NEED to buy for the v3 so people can get ready a bit and also throw a little more info to the FAQ.

You will need:
  • A tin (Altoids or whatever)
  • Raspberry Pi Zero (W)
  • A Micro SD Card (8GB or larger)
  • A Soldering Iron with Thin Tip (I use 63/37 thin Solder)
  • Some Soldering Skills and might be good idea to get the mintyPi Practice Boards
  • 3D parts with the Rubber Buttons I had custom made (Wermy will be selling both 3D parts and Buttons, I will not)
  • Some M2 screws (M2x3mm ,M2x4mm, M2x8mm), Wermy will include these with his 3D parts so not needed unless you Print Your Own parts
Optional:
  • Cell Phone battery if you live outside the USA or want to buy your own (dimensions mentioned in this thread, 4 pin battery like S3 Mini)

that's it, if it's not listed here then you will not need to buy it.
Information about the battery is in the question below.

If you don't have access to a 3d printer, you will also need to purchase the 3D printed parts. It is unknown at this time what the price for those will be.

If you do have access to a 3D printer, the STL files will be released. (Source) You will likely still need to purchase the button pads.

Q: What kind of battery will come with V3
A:
US: A 2200 mah battery will be offered for an additional $10. (Source | Source 2 | Source 3 |Price source) Only the first 500 US orders will be able to purchase the custom battery.
UK/EU: As of now, you will need to source your own batteries but if there are enough preorders in Europe/United Kingdom, Helder will "will have some batteries made and shipped to the UK to sell to people over in Europe." (Source)
Other international orders will need to source their own batteries. Maximum dimensions should be 51mm x 58mm x 5mm. (Source ss taken w/ Helders permission)

Q: What else will I need?
A: A soldering iron and solder (63sn/37pb or close to w/ flux). Both can be obtained for cheap. If you have never soldered before or it has been a while, it's recommended to get a practice board from OshPark to practice on before diving in to the real thing.
A multimeter w/ continuity checker is also strongly recommended but not required. These can also be obtained cheaply.
And a list of QoL things can be viewed in this blog post.

Q: Will there be a built in headphone jack?
A: Yes. (Source | Source 2) The headphone jack will be included in the kit but as a separate piece so it is up to you if you would like to solder it on or not. (Source)

Q: How big will the screen be?
A: 2.6" (Source | Related image)

Q: Are there any sneak peaks of V3?
A: The best places to get sneak peaks are on Wermy's YouTube channel, Wermy's Instagram, and Helder's Instagram
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And just a few other tid bits:
-New 3D printed parts. Image
-New silicon injection molded buttons. Video

-Tins and decals by YaYa Designs to make your MintyPi look extra cool:Link
Open for preview imageShow
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog:
Nov 24, 2018:
-Preorders pushed back to early-mid December.
-Added that shipping/tax are not included in the $90 estimation for the kit.

Nov 12, 18:
-Updated the price for the custom battery that will be available for an extra $10 to US customers only (unless there is enough EU/UK interest)
-Updated the kit cost to be estimated to be around $90
-Added info about the headphone jack being included but optional to solder on.

Nov 10, 18:
-It's gonna be another 2 weeks.
SpoilerShow
Oct 31, 18:
-Added the wait time between preorders and shipping time.

Oct 28, 18:
-Updated the preorder question with the latest info. (WE ARE GETTING CLOSERERER!!!!)

Oct 23, 18:
-Updated the preorder question with the latest info. (WE ARE GETTING CLOSE!!!!)
-----
Oct 21, 18:
-Clarified that the Pi, SDcard, and tin are separate purchases.
SpoilerShow
A: The only guaranteed parts that you will need to buy separately are the Pi 0 (W) itself, 8 GB or greater SD card, and the tin itself (most people use an altoids tin). (Source) Any orders outside of the US will also need to source their own battery (see below). Rule of thumb right now is to not buy anything else until we know what we are getting.
-Added info on 3D parts.
SpoilerShow
Q: What parts will I need to buy?
A: The only guaranteed parts that you will need to buy separately are the Pi 0 (W) itself, 8 GB or greater SD card, and the tin itself (most people use an altoids tin). (Source) Any orders outside of the US will also need to source their own battery (see below). Rule of thumb right now is to not buy anything else until we know what we are getting.
If you don't have access to a 3d printer, you will also need to purchase the 3D printed parts. It is unknown at this time what the price for those will be.
If you do have access to a 3D printer, the STL files will be released. (Source)
-----
Oct 7, 18:
-Added other tools required for project.

-----
Oct 1, 18:
-Updated the battery section to add the UK/EU.
Last edited by LilTrublMakr on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 19 times in total.

rodocop

Re: Minty Pi v3 FAQ

Post by rodocop » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Good idea posting this!

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Nice faq,
Only one question, i think i already know the answer but will ask anyway...
Why do international buyer have to source their own battery?
And if, the battery seems to be a rather important new part and not as common as the v2 type lipo so some good pointers would be advisable.
No battery no fun :mrgreen:

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Wailer wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:19 pm
Nice faq,
Only one question, i think i already know the answer but will ask anyway...
Why do international buyer have to source their own battery?
And if, the battery seems to be a rather important new part and not as common as the v2 type lipo so some good pointers would be advisable.
No battery no fun :mrgreen:
Because shipping bare batteries internationally is breaking the rules, they could be sent back, destroyed, confiscated by customs, etc, a sling as it's the same size you will be able to use any battery in the same way as the v1/2.

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:36 am

Shipping batterys indeed is a risky thing, i know (especially for the seller).
But the mintypi community is international so pointing people in the right direction seems imho a good thing.
I can guess that most of the non us v3 buyers would want that exact battery (with or without the really nice sticker).
So not to start a big discussion about rules and regulations (really not my intention), but simply is there a source where one could "safely" (non-us) buy this one.
Maybe jumping to far ahead on this subject, v3 is not released yet....

Edit: (quote from helder) I might have someone sell them for me for European customers... ;)

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 am

UK / EUROPE and USA will be ok most likely, Helder will be selling in US and potentially Galaxy Gaming in the UK, same as the megabat, nothing is confirmed though and outside of these regions people will likely need to source their own because of the batteries being sent internationally being not allowed aspect.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:25 am

The battery dimensions are posted above so you can try to source other kinds of batteries with similar dimensions, and depending on the Preorder amount from outside the USA I will have some batteries made and shipped to the UK to sell to people over in Europe. The cost and risk to me is not worth trying to ship them out and possibly bringing charges and fines onto myself.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Sileon45

Post by Sileon45 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Will a official post be set when it’s ready to preorder?, is there a possibility I can get an older PCB+screen set?

GorgeousFreeman

Post by GorgeousFreeman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:36 pm

awesome cant wait for v3 to come out the only question i have (and might recieve flak for this) would it be possible to remove the headphone jack from the board without screwing anything up?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 am

GorgeousFreeman wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:36 pm
awesome cant wait for v3 to come out the only question i have (and might recieve flak for this) would it be possible to remove the headphone jack from the board without screwing anything up?
Of course you can, with the right tools, patience and skills !
But if it’s a 5 pin jack, you’ll need to solder a bridge wire to have the sound still going to the speakers !
Follow me on instagram Image