[SALE] Retro PSU, a 3.5A Output capable Boost Board

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: [SALE] Retro PSU, a 3.5A Output capable Boost Board

Post by Helder » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:26 am

It's been fixed and tested by another user so go have a look again.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

lightpixel

Post by lightpixel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:42 am

Hello Helder,

Thank you, I´ve already emntioned the update.... unfortunatly there are the same issues. Input works in ES as it should be.... but ingame no controll... with connected keyboard or controller by usb, ingame controlls works. I´ve post an image of my wiring some posts before. Cant find any errors. Working with Retropie 4.4 fresh install...

the initial version of the script version works very well...there was only the trigger button issue. So my wirings must be correct.

lightpixel

Post by lightpixel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:05 am

IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG (808.4 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
it´s very embarrassing for me. It was a framebuffer issue in my config.txt... An the moment it works with retrogame and the sixteenbit mintypibatterymonitor script.... I´ve also edited the position of the icon batterymonitor.py to get the icon at the right corner.
Great Board, Mr. Helder. Now my Pi3 build is finished.

Scarpia

Post by Scarpia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:36 am

Helder, thank you for bringing this board into the world; I saw Wermy mention it in a recent video and I knew I had to get some -- just ordered two from the UK reseller and joined the board too.

A few questions:
  1. Do you have a link to Wermy's in-depth testing? You mention that he tested an ODROID XU4, which is also what I'm planning on using it for -- but in my testing my setup never ran above 3.6A with the XU4 and a 10 inch HDMI LCD panel connected. I have my XU4 configured to be a little less power hungry though.
  2. To get the maximum 3.5A @ 5.2V out of the RetroPSU, that will draw a minimum of 5.52A from the battery at the low (3.3V) end, but likely a little more -- do you have the actual numbers for power draw on the battery at max load? It would make it easier to find batteries that can provide enough current. (I noticed someone in this thread asking about an AliExpress battery which was limited to 3A by its protection board)
  3. You mention that "the PSU is safe up to 8v on input to charge BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!" - why not? And what would you consider your recommended range?
One final note: From reading this thread, I have gathered that:
  • RetroPSU is for Li-ion or LiPo 1S cells with a nominal voltage of 3.7v-3.8v (NOT for LiFePO4 cells)
  • LED Output Voltage is ~1.8V and the resistors are included on the board
  • supports charge-and-play if the charger can supply enough current for both (the load plus 1A)
  • has overcharge protection, but not overcurrent or overdischarge protection; should always be used with a protected battery
Those specs are *really* good to know, and I would just suggest putting them in the original post and in the product description in your web shop.

Thanks,

Scarpia

sandog

Post by sandog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:08 am

good idea to use this on tinker boys latest boards?

KellyBurton

Post by KellyBurton » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Helder wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:20 pm
Yes it will add the battery monitoring only.
I am trying to get this to work on my Picade (8 inch) and nothing works. I tried the psu with a clean install of Retropie and the monitor worked. One I ran the Picade scripts all my controls work with the Picade but I am not getting the battery monitor on the screen anymore.

Does anyone know what I can do to get this board working with the Picade?

I tried both sets of scripts for the psu, but neither one works.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:03 pm

KellyBurton wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Helder wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:20 pm
Yes it will add the battery monitoring only.
I am trying to get this to work on my Picade (8 inch) and nothing works. I tried the psu with a clean install of Retropie and the monitor worked. One I ran the Picade scripts all my controls work with the Picade but I am not getting the battery monitor on the screen anymore.

Does anyone know what I can do to get this board working with the Picade?

I tried both sets of scripts for the psu, but neither one works.
I see that their board uses SCL and SDA which the battery monitor is using as well, so that is likely canceling out the monitoring and has nothing to do with the PSU not working as it should be but the critical pins are being used by the scripts you installed.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

KellyBurton

Post by KellyBurton » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:55 pm

The hack header is supposed to be usable. I hooked your board's sad and scl to the board and it worked. Once I installed their drivers for the board it stopped, so I think your answer is correct that the pihat is using them as well. I will reach out to the Picade guy and see if his can be disabled so I can monitor my battery levels.

Thank you

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:21 am

just a couple of things....
(these may be useful to others as well)

I'm using the Retro PSU in a Game Boy build....
but wont be using OneForAll....
instead was hoping to just use the Mintybatterymonitor
(to avoid having unusable functions appear on the screen, and just avoid the on-screen menu all together))

How easy is it to change the battery icons (i'd also like to do this to a Wii U build)
(i'd like to customise the look a little)

also

Would i be able to use one of Cambles Safe Shutdown PCB for the Game Boy Build with the Retro PSU
(if possible which one would be suitable)

Thank you

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:17 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:21 am
just a couple of things....
(these may be useful to others as well)

I'm using the Retro PSU in a Game Boy build....
but wont be using OneForAll....
instead was hoping to just use the Mintybatterymonitor
(to avoid having unusable functions appear on the screen, and just avoid the on-screen menu all together))

How easy is it to change the battery icons (i'd also like to do this to a Wii U build)
(i'd like to customise the look a little)

also

Would i be able to use one of Cambles Safe Shutdown PCB for the Game Boy Build with the Retro PSU
(if possible which one would be suitable)

Thank you
The Camble PCB for the Powerboost should work since it has the enable pin but my board does not have the LBO pin which I think his board needs so might have to go with the bangood one then (not sure it's available anymore).

The MintyPiBattery scripts have a folder with the icons as .png file you can edit WHILE it is not running so edit them as root or before you install the lines in the rc.local file.