SAIO + pi0: 6 buttons or a joystick? 2 or 4 back buttons?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
loempia

SAIO + pi0: 6 buttons or a joystick? 2 or 4 back buttons?

Post by loempia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm

So after shelving my GBZ project using Kite's SAIO board for more that a year I recently put the parts that I did have together and realized I didn't had the XY guides. Returning to this forum I stumbled on HoolyHoo's amazing brackets and discovered GBZ with 6 bottons or joysticks was 'a thing'. And boards existing allowing for 4 buttons on the back instead of 2...

So, when using a Pi Zero:
- what do you feel makes sense: 6 front buttons or 4 + a joystick?
- what do you feel makes sense: 4 back buttons or 2?

Concerning my emulation requirements: I thinks I enjoy almost all systems & arcade systems... However I do not have much nostalgic feelings for old Atari systems, ZXSpectrum, etc....

rodocop

Re: SAIO + pi0: 6 buttons or a joystick? 2 or 4 back buttons?

Post by rodocop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 am

I find 4 front buttons and two back buttons it sufficient. But add more buttons if you like, depends what games you want to play really. On a pi zero though, I have never really seen the need for a joystick, since it can't emulate most systems that will use a jostick very well (N64, PS1 etc...). But again, it's all personal choice.

I also find that the 6 button on the front does not look too comfy, the extra buttons are really close to the D-pad, and look like they would be not comfortable to play with.

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Personally i think pi zero builds dont need a joystick unless you want it for psx (most of which don't require the use of the joystick but is optional) and 2 rear buttons is enough. All personal preference though really.

loempia

Post by loempia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Thank you guys for your input. So I guess I leave the joystick for a possible future CM3 build :-)
How about CAPCOM arcade games, don't these need 6 buttons?
And were do people use those 4 back buttons for :? ....

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm

4 back buttons would only be useful when playing a PS1 game that need R2 or L2 for something. As for the 6 button front, yeah, some arcade fighting games may benefit from that for sure. But i've never really been into arcade games, mostly console games. Which is why I never go that route.

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am

Just want to say I agree with the others here. 4 front and 2 back is all you really need for a pi zero.

andershp

Post by andershp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 am

Having recently built a bartop arcade, I agree with the other guys.

6 buttons is needed in a few arcade fighters like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Marvel vs. Capcom, but other than that, maaaaaany arcade games uses 1 or 2 buttons.

If you have shoulder buttons on the back of the Gameboy, I would assign these to be the remaining 2 buttons, instead of having 6 on the front. Personal preference.
My "Bubble Bobble" Themed Bartop Arcade: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/107 ... cade-build