Alternative power supply help

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
HavocShot

Alternative power supply help

Post by HavocShot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:26 pm

So I have bought the 3.7V Li-ion Battery Mini USB To USB A Power Supply Module. This is other option recommended instead of the adafruit Powerboost 1000c. I'm not exactly sure where I need to solder in the battery, power switch, and power output on this. Has anyone else used this power supply and know where the components need to go on it?

Jman11

Re: Alternative power supply help

Post by Jman11 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:17 pm

So heres how I wired it. At least what I have wired so far.

The B- and B+ connectors are for the power and GND pin from the battery. I just soldered wires from there to the +/- spots on my battery

The blue circle is for the power in from the USB. I'm using an external microUSB port to charge everything so I wired the VCC and GND pin from the microUSB to the IN+ and GND on the power supply for that.

Power out is what I have not done yet. but what I plan to do is wire the V+ and V- spots (in yellow) to a PCB I got from my electronics store.
(Its similar to what wermy used in his 5th video)

With that PCB I plan on putting my switch there and then running power to the rest of my project.

Hope this helped. If not just ask any questions.

ptitneo

Post by ptitneo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Hello there,

I got the same power supply and I'm wondering if anyone is using the three empty led pads.

Couldn't find anything on the internet, except for a picture with a legend in Chinese that Google translates as "reserved discharge lamp interface". So maybe it's a 3 bar discharge indicator? Has anyone tested these yet? A single low batt led would've been more convenient :)

Jman11

Post by Jman11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 pm

ptitneo wrote:Hello there,

I got the same power supply and I'm wondering if anyone is using the three empty led pads.

Couldn't find anything on the internet, except for a picture with a legend in Chinese that Google translates as "reserved discharge lamp interface". So maybe it's a 3 bar discharge indicator? Has anyone tested these yet? A single low batt led would've been more convenient :)
Actually I bought a 3 color LED to take advantage of those spots. The charger has a built in LED already that shows, Green when fully charged, red when charging, and blue when in use.

Im asuming that the LED pads are just connected to the built in LED and that you can just add your own LED if you want. I dont think it has a battery low indicator sadly but I have not tested it yet so Im not positive.

Ill be doing a lot of work on my project this weekend so Ill let everyone know if I find anything more about the LED pads

ptitneo

Post by ptitneo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:31 am

Yes, I also assumed that they were connected to the surface mounted LEDs too, but that Chinese legend got me confused.

The 3 color LED is a good idea! Looking forward to reading about your progress :)

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:32 am

I have the same one but I wonder where or how to connect the power switch of the GB? :?

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:10 am

Probably in series on the V+ pin.

force

Post by force » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:01 am

ptitneo wrote:Hello there,

Yes,it‘s LED battery level indicator. ;)
Attachments
T2TRbzXXpaXXXXXXXX_!!635865147.jpg
T2TRbzXXpaXXXXXXXX_!!635865147.jpg (445.94 KiB) Viewed 10619 times

chiz

Post by chiz » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Not sure if it's battery level. Perhaps it's solder points for LEDs to mirror the 3 status LEDs that's already on the board. I got this from a customer review over at banggood.com:

This module works very well for the price and charges my phone at 1A with no problem. It does not seem to get warm either. You can leave the board permanently attached to power with no power switch and it draws under 0.5mA then turns on automatically when you plug your device in. Brilliant from a design view so you don't need a switch and it won't drain your battery too quickly when left for a while. You can also use the on board LED's or add your own, as well as using the on board charging socket or using your own too. There are 3 LED's: red=charging, green=finished charging, blue=powering a device. Worth buying!

Spookbroodje

Post by Spookbroodje » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Im interested in buying this aswell, but the difference with the adafruit version is the Lido battery plug. How do i connect a battery to this?