JB Weld, Gorilla Glue, or something else?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
rumblepen

JB Weld, Gorilla Glue, or something else?

Post by rumblepen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Which is the best epoxy?

rumblepen

Re: JB Weld, Gorilla Glue, or something else?

Post by rumblepen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:02 am

you actually don't need to glue down the power switch or the speaker, there are parts for those this guy shared in this video description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_STKUuXv-eM&t=712s I'm linking the video instead of his github to give him some views for having shared his stuff.

some screen covers come with adhesive backings so maybe you don't need to glue that either. I think the screen is the only piece you really need to glue.

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:56 am

Yeah, HoolyHoo has designed some glue free brackets for power and mode switch, the screen glass I've used has adhesive tape already, I use E6000 for smaller parts like the speaker, and gorilla brand 2 part epoxy for the screen bracket.

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 am

Keep in mind that epoxy glue is something forever! There is later on no possibility to remove the screen for any replacements without distroying the screen and the case.

For myself I decided to use just hotglue for the screen in order to be able to heat up everything later on for possible updates.

Adthesive tape could be possibly removeable as well by heat. Depending on the surrounding plastic.

rumblepen

Post by rumblepen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:57 am

there's a guy on youtube who designed a glueless bracket, but he says he's not 100% happy with it and hasn't had time to finish it so I don't know if there will be unforseen issues using his stls. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Kc8OmSWwM

I'm thinking about trying out his solution. if everything doesn't close well then I'll go with one of the tried and true brackets. can't figure out why he needed to cut the battery compartment