joe7dust's GBASPZero

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
joe7dust

joe7dust's GBASPZero

Post by joe7dust » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:24 pm

[spoiler="PARTS n TOOLS"][CORE]
- RPi0
- LCD
- GBA SP shell + buttons
- Battery You might be able to skip the DC-DC booster by using its parts
- DC-DC booster to convert battery up to 5V $17 less than adafruit's 1000C but no play&charge or graceful shutdowns
- Audio Amp
- Speaker

[MISC]
- Copper Tape
- Electrical Tape
- Exacto Knife Kit
- Soldering Iron
- Solder
- Hot Glue Gun & Sticks
- OTG USB Cable
- Multimeter

[PARTS I ALREADY HAVE]
- Micro USB B to USB A cable (for power)
- Mini HDMI to Full HDMI Adapter
- HDMI Monitor
- USB Keyboard
- Spare Ethernet Cord (a sacrifice to the 26 AWG wiring gods)
- Small Tri-Wing & Phillips Screwdrivers
- Random cords w/ (hopefully) 18 to 22 AWG for powered wiring (SATA cable? One of the extra OTG cables I linked earlier maybe?)[/spoiler][spoiler="Unknowns"][THINGS I MIGHT STILL NEED OR ARE UNSURE ABOUT]
- Audio Buffer Board | I'd prefer to connect amp/speaker directly to the RPi0 & avoid this part if possible.
- Low-pass Audio Filter | I don't need this if it's only a sound quality thing, lol did you see the speaker I'm using?
- Potentiometer | I'd prefer a fixed volume & avoid this if possible.
- Switches | Unsure on exact sizes/quantity. Pi GRRL Zero guide recommends 8x 6mm, 2x 12mm & slide switch for power IIRC.
- USB Hub | Guide recommends this but I don't see a reason for it if I don't require more than 1 USB device at a time.
- Micro USB Port | Unsure what this is for. RPi0 comes w/ 1 for Data & 1 for Power already. Plus there are 2 points on the underside that can be used instead of the actual port {I think it is still the same port though so it's not like you get an extra USB by using these points})[/spoiler]I'm still waiting on the switches & PWM audio components, but now that my screen got here from across the pond I think I'm ready to start testing some things like this ubercheap $3 power booster board for example. I don't think it will go in the final build since it only has 2 non-usb power pins, and everyone else here seems to use a version that has 4. I believe this means I can connect it to the battery and run the pi off it, but I won't be able to ever charge it. It may be possible to create my own circuit to circumvent this limitation, but it is probably not worth frying my pi to try it alone. I would basically just wire it all together "intuitively" and enjoy the magic smoke wafting up from my components.
note: Forgot to put my 4' ethernet cord in this picture, that is where I'm getting most of the 24 AWG colored wiring from. It is literally my only working ethernet cord too, but sometimes a sacrifice is necessary. :) Don't use the soldering iron pictured it's a complete waste of $4, get a 3in1 butane for $20 instead.
Also that battery is just a few mm too long for this, so it is only going to be used as a test 3.7v-4.4v power source. I've ordered a powerbank whose battery will hopefully be going in the final build. So far it is amazing, my phone charges faster from it than when plugged into my PC or even directly into the wall. Not sure how that last bit is even possible.
Anyone ever try a Serial SPI display with the pi? this?

IT's ALIVE!! Booted it up and ran retropie for 2 minutes to test this $3 cellphone battery + $3 booster board combo out. Not bad! No issues so far. I think I'll probably stick a $4 booster board in for the final build though, because I think I need one like most here use with the 4 pins and not just 2. This one I think would require a switch for disconnecting the battery while charging to prevent overvoltage.
[spoiler="press hard for powa"]Image[/spoiler][spoiler="I changed a couple things from the original plan, using a better soldering iron now and a better, smaller battery."]Image[/spoiler]

joe7dust

Re: joe7dust's GBASPZero

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Little teaser before recording some video where I may or may not fry my pi/lcd by reversing polarity.

Http://imgur.com/D8DOxCK

And here's a couple crappie videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTvKNoZ6i0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf3CJz_Z_g

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Still trying to get the display to work. After this video I decided to rewire the composite output, perhaps there was some noise or something. If it still doesn't work after that then it probably needs to be modded or I need a 12v booster. Not sure if I'll be able to double boost from 3v to 5v then to 12v all off a cheap cellphone battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-FTUyZzUE4

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:57 pm

These should be the last videos related to testing the display. Apparently the issue had nothing to do with power it was my rigged ass wiring on the composite video line(s) because putting in a 2 pin header cleared it right up!

An interesting thing I discovered is that only the yellow wire is required. I am leaning towards using a single pin video setup to fit my minimalist theme on this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbrmWN1LpjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuj5ceWycSw

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:44 am

joe7dust wrote:These should be the last videos related to testing the display. Apparently the issue had nothing to do with power it was my rigged ass wiring on the composite video line(s) because putting in a 2 pin header cleared it right up!

An interesting thing I discovered is that only the yellow wire is required. I am leaning towards using a single pin video setup to fit my minimalist theme on this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbrmWN1LpjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuj5ceWycSw
Hei!

Well, you need to have ground. If you have ground already coming to the PCB through power that is enough.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:12 am

Just realized that was the screen I plan to put in my GBZ project. There's no way that screen would fit in a GBA SP.

The actual screen I planned to use on this project I may have just ruined. I was soldering a wire for the 5v mod, and afterwards noticed some ribbon connector pins are fused together. I think the butane soldering iron I'm using may have shot a jet of hot air over there.

This definitely doesn't look good. http://imgur.com/kfG7G2N

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:57 am

joe7dust wrote:Just realized that was the screen I plan to put in my GBZ project. There's no way that screen would fit in a GBA SP.

The actual screen I planned to use on this project I may have just ruined. I was soldering a wire for the 5v mod, and afterwards noticed some ribbon connector pins are fused together. I think the butane soldering iron I'm using may have shot a jet of hot air over there.

Just don't connect it to anything. You can remove solder. If you don't have any tools (like me, should buy) I just heat up the solder and while it's melted I just really fast hit the side of the PCB board to the table. Just put some paper tape over other connection so you don't fuse those.

After you cleand the connections some solder should remain and you will maybe have to resolder those connection, but less solder can be managed. Fused ones like this are bad.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Mad_Duke wrote:
joe7dust wrote:Just realized that was the screen I plan to put in my GBZ project. There's no way that screen would fit in a GBA SP.

Just don't connect it to anything. You can remove solder. If you don't have any tools (like me, should buy) I just heat up the solder and while it's melted I just really fast hit the side of the PCB board to the table. Just put some paper tape over other connection so you don't fuse those.

After you cleand the connections some solder should remain and you will maybe have to resolder those connection, but less solder can be managed. Fused ones like this are bad.
I honestly don't see me fixing this. It took me more than 5 minutes to solder 1 pin at 1mm separation (which promptly broke off the next time I touched it) and these look less than 0.5mm each.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:55 pm

I just got a PM from someone who bought the same screen and it has this defect so I guess it was not because of me. His doesn't work either, so maybe they had a bad batch? I still haven't done the solder wire mod that is needed for it to run off 5v so the one I have might actually work I suppose...

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:25 pm

My PWM audio circuit Image