Minty Pi 2.0 Screen to PCB Help

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
SireNightFire

Minty Pi 2.0 Screen to PCB Help

Post by SireNightFire » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:16 pm

So I can’t exactly test the screen at the moment (realized the Pi won’t show anything without an SD). However I just realized I have to solder the screen directly to the adapter. So this is probably my 4th time soldering something. I was hoping if someone could tell me if it looks like I messed up anything or if I did a good job. A little worried since I’m using a $20 iron. So far I've connected the button PCB to the Pi. I went and tried to test the screen to see if things would boot, but thankfully nothing was supposed to show since I don't have a micro SD at the moment. When I get my next paycheck I'll probably pick one up and load the software.

LilTrublMakr

Re: Minty Pi 2.0 Screen to PCB Help

Post by LilTrublMakr » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm

4 words: Flux is your friend.

To me, it looks like a bunch of them are very very close to being bridged. It should look more along the lines of

Getting a flux pen would help greatly as it basically sucks the solder to the pad and on to the ribbon cable.

When taking the ribbon cable off, take your time so you don't rip the ribbon. Heat up a couple of pins at a time with a very gentle force pulling the ribbon up.

SireNightFire

Re: Minty Pi 2.0 Screen to PCB Help

Post by SireNightFire » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:37 pm

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm
4 words: Flux is your friend.

To me, it looks like a bunch of them are very very close to being bridged. It should look more along the lines of

Getting a flux pen would help greatly as it basically sucks the solder to the pad and on to the ribbon cable.

When taking the ribbon cable off, take your time so you don't rip the ribbon. Heat up a couple of pins at a time with a very gentle force pulling the ribbon up.
Thank you for the heads up. I honestly didn't know such a thing existed. I was always wondering how people could solder so perfectly. I guess it also helps to actually have a decent soldering iron. I'll pick one up asap. To be fair though this is what I'm working with.