Headphones and speakers playing in tandem - SOLVED

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Booticus

Headphones and speakers playing in tandem - SOLVED

Post by Booticus » Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Hey everyone, I can gladly say that I have my mintypi working in nearly all aspects. The buttons all work, the speaker works, the screen is working, but I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. When I plug in headphones, the sound comes from both the headphones and the speaker. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? It isn't super essential but I would like to use the headphone jack if possible. Thanks.

P.S. I'm also having trouble finding how to display the battery monitor. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Last edited by Booticus on Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Headphones and speakers playing in tandem

Post by Helder » Thu May 09, 2019 12:03 am

Did you solder the no headphone jumper? It's 2 tiny solder pads with a headphone symbol near it? If so remove that bridge.

The Mode button will show you the battery level once you press it UNLESS you did not solder SCL and SDA properly.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Booticus

Post by Booticus » Thu May 09, 2019 2:58 pm

I did not solder the headphone skip pads, as I knew I'd want a headphone jack.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Thu May 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Can we see a picture of your soldering please? Both front and back of the controller board.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm

I think there might be some solder somewhere that got into the headphone jack from the legs. Be sure to get some good pictures of the headphone socket from all angles so we can see.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Booticus

Post by Booticus » Sat May 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi everyone, I apologize for the delay, I've been busy these past two days, but in that time the problem fixed itself, then made the speaker stop working after more use of the headphone jack, and then all sound stopped entirely upon further use in attempts to reverse the effect without needing to disassemble. The headphone jack's, soldering looks like this. Thanks for all of your help.
Attachments
0511191913a.jpg
0511191913a.jpg (5.01 MiB) Viewed 3935 times
0511191914.jpg
0511191914.jpg (4.91 MiB) Viewed 3935 times
0511191914a~2.jpg
0511191914a~2.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3935 times

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 am

Yeah that is a lot of solder. As Helder said, some may have gotten inside the headphone jack itself. Do you have some solder wick that you can use to try and soak up some of that solder? And can you look down the barrel of the headphone jack and see if there is any solder inside of it?

Booticus

Post by Booticus » Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am

I do not have solder wick, but I do have a solder sucker. Could that help, or should I order some wick?

Edit: It does look like there is some solder inside the jack, do I need to do anything special to get it out, or just work at removing solder?

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 am

Just work on removing the solder. Solder wick would be best but a sucker could work if you angle it right.

Booticus

Post by Booticus » Sun May 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Thanks. I did that and it seemed to work, so I reassembled the thing only to have the speaker stop working again, so more solder must still be in the jack. Unfortunately trying to open it back up a screw got stuck in the threads and I can not get it out without destroying the face plate or the tin. So as unfortunate as it may be, the system may be stuck as a headphones only device if I want sound. Thanks for all the help though, if I hadn't screwed myself over, I'm sure it would have worked.