WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
Noxta

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by Noxta » Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 am

ok, thanks you

Tinkerman92

Post by Tinkerman92 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 am

Good afternoon ladies and gents. I'm currently working on one of these for a commission and it's almost done minus some power problems and other hiccups along the way.

Question I have for you intelligent individuals. I have the teensy 2.0 soldered directly to a raspberry pi A+ without any headers. This works fine if I plug the teensy into any other device including other pi's. However if I'm connected to the A+ it does not detect the teensy. I'm guessing due to the constant power to the teensy. Is their any workarounds to get the pi to register the teensy?

Or do I need a fet that turns the teensy on via gpio?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Tinkerman92 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 am
Good afternoon ladies and gents. I'm currently working on one of these for a commission and it's almost done minus some power problems and other hiccups along the way.

Question I have for you intelligent individuals. I have the teensy 2.0 soldered directly to a raspberry pi A+ without any headers. This works fine if I plug the teensy into any other device including other pi's. However if I'm connected to the A+ it does not detect the teensy. I'm guessing due to the constant power to the teensy. Is their any workarounds to get the pi to register the teensy?

what are you powering the whole build with.....

if you could show how you have it all set up....

Tinkerman92

Post by Tinkerman92 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:38 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 pm
Tinkerman92 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 am

what are you powering the whole build with.....

if you could show how you have it all set up....

Whoops my bad, I can take better pictures when I get home. Power is not permanent as I'm currently having issues with it. But it goes as follows for this leg.

18650(x2 in parallel individually protected)>Power Switch>Helders Power Board>Raspberry Pi>Teensy

I have other legs but try to home run as much of it to helders as I can

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri May 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Tinkerman92 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Whoops my bad, I can take better pictures when I get home. Power is not permanent as I'm currently having issues with it. But it goes as follows for this leg.

18650(x2 in parallel individually protected)>Power Switch>Helders Power Board>Raspberry Pi>Teensy

(I appreciate that this is still a WIP)
but at first glance you seem to have somethings going on there that will give you headaches when coming to close the whole thing

we'll leave that for another time

how are you connecting the Teensy to RPi? (please clarify)

it should be wired to the Raspberry Pi USB port (either directly or via a USB hub).....

you could try just wiring the data connections (D+ & D-) to the RPi, and drawing the power directly from the Retro PSU

Tinkerman92

Post by Tinkerman92 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:52 pm
Tinkerman92 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:38 pm

(I appreciate that this is still a WIP)
but at first glance you seem to have somethings going on there that will give you headaches when coming to close the whole thing

we'll leave that for another time

how are you connecting the Teensy to RPi? (please clarify)

it should be wired to the Raspberry Pi USB port (either directly or via a USB hub).....

you could try just wiring the data connections (D+ & D-) to the RPi, and drawing the power directly from the Retro PSU

After tinkering with it last night I believe the pi has a faulty USB controller. Because the teensy works on all other computers and Pi's. But to answer your question. We decided to not use a hub for this build so the setup is a bit goofy. The pi and teensy have both had their headers removed and are soldered directly to the board.

The teensy has a dpdt switch on the Data + and Vcc lines to select between the pi and an external USB header. I will likely hook the teensy into the RetroPSU for power and use the DPDT on Data+ Data- but this allows the teensy to be programmed without using the raspberry pi.......or I guess my client could use his Wii U as a really big controller lol

Also this picture is older and a few things have changed since, the biggest being we have gone to a ribbon HDMI cable for clearance reasons with the battery. What other issues are you seeing?

Also not a whole lot was done but you can see the most recent revision of the build here
SpoilerShow

djobbydjobba

Post by djobbydjobba » Sun May 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Hello everyone. I'm glad to see this topic is still alive ! Thank you all for the hard work. I'm all done with this project and I've got everything running perfect but for one thing... please please please help me. The problem is with the teensy. I'm using Zark Wizards code. I know there is a dedicated topic but it seems dead as he is not answering anymore. He added a section in the code to invert joysticks. At first all my analog directions were inverted except for left vertical. I modified to code for inversion and it worked pretty well... but the left horizontal stays inverted no matter what I try! Has someone experienced the same issue ?

https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... 956#p23956

jbenedetto84

Post by jbenedetto84 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:44 am

Hello all. Just wanted to say my build is complete and working nicely. Big thanks to @VeteranGamer and @Helder for their help and support as this was not the easiest of builds. The ONLY thing that I can't seem to fix is the static in the speakers whenever the PI's activity light is blinking (this has more to do with what it's processing than the LED itself; just to be clear). I've wrapped all speaker wires in conductive fabric and added toroids and it makes no difference. It's only noticeable during boot and shutdown so I've grown to accept it. It most likely has something to do with the pot being so close to the retro psu and as the pi demands more current a feedback is picked up. In my next build I will try to keep them further apart. I will be posting photos/videos of my build shortly.

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am

jbenedetto84 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:44 am
Hello all. Just wanted to say my build is complete and working nicely. Big thanks to @VeteranGamer and @Helder for their help and support as this was not the easiest of builds. The ONLY thing that I can't seem to fix is the static in the speakers whenever the PI's activity light is blinking (this has more to do with what it's processing than the LED itself; just to be clear). I've wrapped all speaker wires in conductive fabric and added toroids and it makes no difference. It's only noticeable during boot and shutdown so I've grown to accept it. It most likely has something to do with the pot being so close to the retro psu and as the pi demands more current a feedback is picked up. In my next build I will try to keep them further apart. I will be posting photos/videos of my build shortly.
Put a cheap ac filter on the power input to the audio amplifier to get rid of any noise :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COILCRAFT-BU ... 0010.m2109

jbenedetto84

Post by jbenedetto84 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:47 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am
Put a cheap ac filter on the power input to the audio amplifier to get rid of any noise :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COILCRAFT-BU ... 0010.m2109
Thanks! I will try that and let you know how it goes.

Just to confirm, I would wire it like this:

If so, does it matter which is "in" and which is "out"?

ALSO - I plan on making a second one of these for a friend. Where do you guys get the (i assume 36awg) hook up wire? The smallest I can find is 30 but the wires you have to your teensy look much smaller.