Troubleshoot why certain keys don't repond

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Thatbraziliann

Re: Troubleshoot why certain keys don't repond

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 11:53 am

ktechelonbreak wrote:Continuity check the pads to the Teensy is the best way to make sure a connection is established. Just find your solder point and trace it back to the appropriate pad, do it for each one that isn't working. From the looks of it, the bottom left ground might not be bridged although it doesn't explain why the UP button is not working..
SOI checked continuity from the teensy to my board. (my multimeter is a little cheap so it doesnt beep) but all the points that didnt lead to ground went <1 usually around 06-18 but sometimes I would get 30-56 range. Attached are pictures of my board. Since they all have continuity do you believe it could be a grounding problem?

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 11:59 am

Last edited by Thatbraziliann on Mon May 09, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 12:09 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:Does this picture help?

Screenshot_2016-05-09-10-01-03.png

The connection running to the tracer you connected to your teency should read less than 1.0. The other connection to your board should read greater than 1.0.

If you have a bad connection on your multimeter, then you WILL NOT get two different readings on your board (the up, down, left, right inputs) and you may get the same reading on both contacts, the input going to your teency and the ground connection which means you have a bad connection.
Hey sorry so I touch the ground pad with the ground wire connected to the teensy correct? So I have a ground connection with all of my buttons besides the faulty D pads ones( so up,down, left). But for select start and B ( the other buttons that werent working) I have a ground connection the same as my working buttons but none of them (working and not working) are over 1 they range in the 700- 900 range.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 12:40 pm

So update:

I thought it was the ground connections by the DPad so I desoldered the connection and tried to solder a new one..

After about 15 minutes of the most agony ive ever gone through( plastic would melt-scrape more, solder wouldnt come of the tip so plastic would melt-clean and scrape more, traces broke, go farther down, and this cycle repeated about 30 times.. I dont know how come Im the only one having trouble soldering. Everyone elses looks so clean with no burn marks or burned point.

well the PCB that took literally 4 hours of my life and a chunk of my finger is pretty much ruined. take a look..

Xorxfon

Post by Xorxfon » Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 pm

I would say those connections are fried. But I use the strips of copper all over my board for grounds it seems to work for me. Another option you have (if you live in the U.S.) is the prefab board @Helder has made here http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Xorxfon wrote:I would say those connections are fried. But I use the strips of copper all over my board for grounds it seems to work for me. Another option you have (if you live in the U.S.) is the prefab board @Helder has made here http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28
Yeah I went and ordered one.. Im just bummed because I don't understand why I couldn't get the solder to stick between those two connections..
I was soo frustrated and instead of trying later tonight I kept going at it.. Now literally 4 hours of my life is in the trash..

And I know we will be soldering more in this project so I dont know what to do.. I dont understand why my points are always burning. i try to be as quick as possible and if it doesnt work the first time i give it a second to dry and try again.. its just very frustrating.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Mon May 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Xorxfon wrote:I would say those connections are fried. But I use the strips of copper all over my board for grounds it seems to work for me. Another option you have (if you live in the U.S.) is the prefab board @Helder has made here http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28
I agree here, go to the Buy and Sell thread on this forum and buy a board. They are on back order, but that might be your only hope.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Thatbraziliann wrote:
Yeah I went and ordered one.. Im just bummed because I don't understand why I couldn't get the solder to stick between those two connections..
I was soo frustrated and instead of trying later tonight I kept going at it.. Now literally 4 hours of my life is in the trash..

And I know we will be soldering more in this project so I dont know what to do.. I dont understand why my points are always burning. i try to be as quick as possible and if it doesnt work the first time i give it a second to dry and try again.. its just very frustrating.
First of all, your life was not wasted, you learn from every experience. This was my first time working with solder and I screwed up as well. I powered through and read about tip and tricks of soldering and now I feel very confident that I could solder just about anything. Keep at it man and you will get there.

Second, you should never give up. You should power through dude.

Third, what temperature did you set your iron to? I always set it to 200-250 if I am soldering. Anything over 300 will burn your board if you keep the tip on the board too long.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 3:07 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:
Thatbraziliann wrote:

First of all, your life was not wasted, you learn from every experience. This was my first time working with solder and I screwed up as well. I powered through and read about tip and tricks of soldering and now I feel very confident that I could solder just about anything. Keep at it man and you will get there.

Second, you should never give up. You should power through dude.

Third, what temperature did you set your iron to? I always set it to 200-250 if I am soldering. Anything over 300 will burn your board if you keep the tip on the board too long.

Damn I was always setting it to 375... That explains a lot of my burns and everything else.. I wonder if I can solder better with a lower temp?

Are there any other areas I could try to put those two grounds together maybe run a wire from one trace to the other trace?

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Mon May 09, 2016 3:08 pm

So the cooper tape wouldve worked? Damn I shouldve just done that...