Connecting shoulder buttons to ground - where? [SOLVED]

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
mrsippy

Connecting shoulder buttons to ground - where? [SOLVED]

Post by mrsippy » Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 am

Hey all,

I have this button PCB: Image

...and have a question re connecting shoulder buttons.

I know that I need to connect one pin from the left button to "L" on the PCB, and one pin from the right button to "R" on the PCB, and, on each button, I need to ground the other pin, but where do I ground them? Do I solder them both to "GND" on the PCB? Do I then also solder a wire from "GND" on the PCB to a ground on the Pi? Or do I connect the remaining pin on each of the buttons to a spare ground on the Pi? If yes, what do I do with "GND" on the PCB?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Last edited by mrsippy on Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

floppes

Re: Connecting shoulder buttons to ground - where?

Post by floppes » Thu May 23, 2019 5:23 am

Generally speaking, you should have all GNDs connected. The GND of the Raspberry Pi should be connected with the GND of your PCB and the GNDs of your shoulder buttons. That's called a "common ground". How you do this is up to you.

mrsippy

Post by mrsippy » Thu May 23, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks floppes!

I have my display grounded next to the TV pin (I'm using a composite cable), it would be difficult to connect anything else there, I take it it would be ok to use a different ground pin on the Pi for the other things that need to be grounded?

floppes

Post by floppes » Thu May 23, 2019 6:26 am

Yes, the Pi has several GND pins. They are all connected internally. You can use any of them.

Just make sure your solder connection is good and the wire is thick enough for the current it has to conduct.

infinitLoop

Re: Connecting shoulder buttons to ground - where? [SOLVED]

Post by infinitLoop » Thu May 23, 2019 7:03 am

be aware - the L and R on that board are for the buttons on that pad - they are for a six button layout on the front.

if you are actually doing "shoulder" buttons, in the rear, then you would leave those unconnected on that board and wire the buttons (or a board if you get one) in the back directly to the pi. you would also ground both of those to something on the pi.

mrsippy

Re: Connecting shoulder buttons to ground - where? [SOLVED]

Post by mrsippy » Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:03 am
be aware - the L and R on that board are for the buttons on that pad - they are for a six button layout on the front.

if you are actually doing "shoulder" buttons, in the rear, then you would leave those unconnected on that board and wire the buttons (or a board if you get one) in the back directly to the pi. you would also ground both of those to something on the pi.
Thank you so much infinitLoop, I was about to solder them on! So glad you pointed this out.