Where the F#*k do i start?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Michael8t1

Where the F#*k do i start?

Post by Michael8t1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:56 am

Hello folks.
I have been lurking a fair bit recently to try to wrap my head around the variety of machine i wish to build. I have watched tonnes of videos and reviewed a number of threads and not sure which way to go.

Some of you have built awesome units and i scratch my head wondering how you know what to do? So i have 2 questions.

1) How many varieties are there out there of this units. AIO, circuit sword, tinker boy etc. I see Some have joysticks and others dont. Different button configs. I am confused!

2) where do i learn to build my choice build.

Thanks friends

tinkerBOY

Re: Where the F#*k do i start?

Post by tinkerBOY » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Start with a Pi zero. Buy one and a cheap usb controller or a usb keyboard will do for now. Format your sdcard and install RetroPie. Now connect the Raspberry Pi to an hdmi tv or monitor. Configure your controller. Go to RetroPie settings, enable SSH and connect to your WiFi. Transfers roms from your computer to your Pi. Reboot. Congrats! Now you have a working RetroPie setup. 😊👍

Next, start shopping for parts for your Game Boy Zero. The idea for your first build is to keep cheap and simple. Start with GPIO based controller for your build. This build involves a lot of soldering but you will learn the basic.

Here are parts you need for a GPIO based GBZ:

- Pi Zero.
- PowerBoost
- Simple Game Boy Zero pcb board - GPIO Controller inputs
- PAM8403 - Audio amp
- headphone jack

These parts are just the main components and you can buy them anywhere on eBay, AliExpress, Amazon, or on my website.

Here’s a wiring guide which you can use for any simple GBZ board.

Other most obvious parts are:
- battery
- DMG case
- glass screen cover
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

Chumples

Post by Chumples » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm

The button layout depends on which consoles you would like to be able to emulate on your gameboy. The circuit sword board is very turnkey and a very good first build system. Working on the front half right now. Pm me with any more questions.

Michael8t1

Post by Michael8t1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 am

Thanks for the replies chaps! Can you tell me out of the different configs out there which version allows the most emulation. When do the joystick and rear buttons come in to play? My ideal machine will play upto as far as N64 but i understand by watching ETA prime vids that these do not run well. Id also love to play arcade titles from when i was a kid : street fighter, tmnt and Simpsons which seem to be popular with others as well. Also, which version of the pi is best for this objective. I can solder as i have build many car and home stereos.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Michael8t1 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 am
Thanks for the replies chaps! Can you tell me out of the different configs out there which version allows the most emulation. When do the joystick and rear buttons come in to play? My ideal machine will play upto as far as N64 but i understand by watching ETA prime vids that these do not run well. Id also love to play arcade titles from when i was a kid : street fighter, tmnt and Simpsons which seem to be popular with others as well. Also, which version of the pi is best for this objective. I can solder as i have build many car and home stereos.
for n64 and many arcade games, you'll want more than a pi zero then. the circuit sword kit using the cm3 board is the easiest in-road for that, but you have to wait on the pre-order/fulfillment cycle, so that will be many months before you can build it, unless you can find someone to sell you theirs. a quicker approach, parts-wise, is to try and do a pi 3a+ based build, but that is at least one or two steps above a beginner build, because you'll have to source the parts and do a lot more modifications to the components. it's definitely doable though. many people are sticking 3a+s in all sorts of shells.

rear buttons are used for the shoulder buttons on gba, snes, psx and n64, and you will probably need trigger ones for psx and n64 too. the analog joystick is really only used on n64 (and there isn't much use in doing two, imho).

Michael8t1

Post by Michael8t1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm
for n64 and many arcade games, you'll want more than a pi zero then. the circuit sword kit using the cm3 board is the easiest in-road for that, but you have to wait on the pre-order/fulfillment cycle, so that will be many months before you can build it, unless you can find someone to sell you theirs. a quicker approach, parts-wise, is to try and do a pi 3a+ based build, but that is at least one or two steps above a beginner build, because you'll have to source the parts and do a lot more modifications to the components. it's definitely doable though. many people are sticking 3a+s in all sorts of shells.

rear buttons are used for the shoulder buttons on gba, snes, psx and n64, and you will probably need trigger ones for psx and n64 too. the analog joystick is really only used on n64 (and there isn't much use in doing two, imho).
Thanks for that info. Im keen to give anything a crack so bring it on i say. So some more noob questions for you all. If i have:
  • Pi3a+
    Tinkerboy v3 controller
    Powerboost
    DPI adapter
    3.5in display
    Speaker
    DMG case
    Analogue stick
    Battery
What else do i need? My understanding is the the Tinkerboy v3 controller, includes the audio amp, and headphone jack.

Is the volume wheel and USB add on board worthwhile. Seems like a neat way to add those items.

Thanks again.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 am

You might be interested with my newly released tinkerBOY PowerSwitch with Safe Shutdown. It’s like a powerboost but with higher power capacity.

And yes my v3 uses a usb audio chip with builtin amp. It’s got battery monitoring feature too. 😊👍

Michael8t1

Post by Michael8t1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:34 am

So Tinkerboy, does the V3 with the 6 button layout make the rear buttons obsolete?

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:36 am

Michael8t1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:34 am
So Tinkerboy, does the V3 with the 6 button layout make the rear buttons obsolete?
No, you can add 4 rear buttons if you want along with a 6-button layout.

Michael8t1

Post by Michael8t1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:56 am

Is there any set up where more than 6 buttons are needed?