Project idea help

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Goose_box

Project idea help

Post by Goose_box » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Gave up on the pi zero idea because trying to cram in all the components got me way too frustrated and I kept breaking things in the case. Decided to go a different route. I have a pi3 and a pi2 laying around at home. Which should I use and what would be some major differences. What battery life should I expect to see on either using a 2500mah battery?

Thanks for any help!

alien0matic

Re: Project idea help

Post by alien0matic » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:32 pm

So you stop using the Pi Zero because you break stuff because there is not much space in the case and you start using the Pi 2/3, that is 2 times as large and has huge connectors?

chiz

Re: Project idea help

Post by chiz » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear that @Goose_box. It's a good thing though that with the challenges you encountered, you're not discouraged to try again.

However, the RPi2/3 is even bigger than the Pi Zero and would require additional work though there are pros and cons:

Pros:
1. more processing power which will allow you to play some N64 games
2. USB hub is optional as the RPi2/3 already has 4 built-in USB ports

Cons:
1. would require some hacking, e.g., de-soldering of ports/jacks in order to fit the RPi2/3 in the case
2. will require cooling due to overheating
3. will require a higher capacity battery due to the increased power requirement

Nonetheless, if you're willing to go this route, recognize that there would be more work/challenges ahead.