Reduce screen noise/flicker?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
VeteranGamer

Re: Reduce screen noise/flicker?

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:11 am

redled wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 pm
I've installed the shielded cable, and still I see noise... :?

At best, I describe the noise as two types of visual disturbance: A) a moving and lightly colored static, it *seems* like jiggling a cable would fix it, but doesn't, it's noticeable on black screens especially and B) a refresh-rate type of flicker in the screen, that when i tilt the screen up 15 degrees the flicker appears to go away, but then everything looks darker and is harder to see. Perhaps the flicker is from reducing voltage to 5V?

1. Any advice or tips I can try to improve these conditions?

2. What display do you folks recommend that will produce a clean image, not necessarily high definition 640x480, but just a nice clean image free of noise, distortion and fuzz. Perhaps I'll just try to buy my way out of this problem and get the Adafruit 320x230 from wermy's first guide and hope I'm satisfied with the display quality.

i'm not surprised your still experienceing noise/flickering.....

you've shielded the wrong cable (by the looks of it, the power cables)...

the cable you need to shield is the composite video cable (the white cable on your build) .....

shielding anything else (might be ok), but isnt gonna fix the video signal.....

shield that cable, and you should (hopefully) see a difference

redled

Post by redled » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:42 am

Update: I just switched the red and white video wires, shielding the white wire instead and same issue, maybe even a tad worse after switching...

drsolow

Post by drsolow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 am

it could be the ribbon unfortunately... it seems we have the same board (variant 8). Everything was fine for me testing but when it came to resoldering I noticed that there was noise and discolouration. I panicked as this was the 2nd screen i ordered but, I found out if you held the ribbon down were it folds near the connector the display comes back. I guess the original monitor case it came in held everything together. I am trying to find a way to hold the ribbon down without interfering with the display. Maybe electrical tape or something? Any better ideas?

redled

Post by redled » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:11 pm

drsolow wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 am
I found out if you held the ribbon down were it folds near the connector the display comes back.
I would love to see a photo! I've tried this multiple times with my hands pressing down and moving the cables and wires, and while I have pretty good eyes, I can't detect any changes. :shock:

drsolow

Post by drsolow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm currently at work but, I have a previous photo from my first screen which probably had he same problem but, I got frustrated and ripped it to shreds... lol

But, I think the ribbon has to be tight hence why I think it being in its original case made it work cause it held everything down. Every time I pushed that flap down or over close to the ribbon connector there was a proper display. Or if I held the ribbon against the bottom of the screen it worked as well. I really don't wanna put tape or anything like that on the ribbon cause I'm afraid it might break or something like that
Attachments
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 4887 times
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 4887 times

WandererGen

Post by WandererGen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 pm

I used the screen adjustment buttons to turn down brightness. This dramatically reduced (possibly eliminated) a similar "refresh rate" flickering effect. I haven't noticed it since making that adjustment. I have the same controller board on my screen.