When I finished my GBz build 3 weeks ago I initially faced several problems like for example the 180° rotated screen issue when you connect it through HDMI, configuring the screen resolution correctly and so on...
So at the end I came out with collecting all the small fixes, optimizations and configurations in a useful GitHub repository.
This build is totally DIY, I didn't use none of the prebuilt parts (the graceful shutdown circuit for instance) and I also did a battery meter using the ATtiny-85 (link below).
GameBoy-Zero-Build Repo: https://github.com/vascofazza/GameBoy-Zero-Build
Gbz-ATtiny85-Monitor Repo: https://github.com/vascofazza/gbzattinymonitor (still writing the readme, PM me if you need help!)
I hope you will benefit too!
The repo contains two main scripts and they are both configurable (you can choose what to install).
install.sh is the basic one, it includes the following things:
- WiFi credential setup
- Adafruit Retrogame software installation (hardware buttons)
- Custom config.txt ready for BW 3.5" screen
- Automatic screen rotation when connected through HDMI (the composite screen is mounted upside down)
- Python script for Graceful shutdown circuitry handling
- Python script for Battery Level meter
- Disable the initial boot logo (goes directly to the splashscreen without prompts)
- Invert the status led behaviour for power saving (the led is powered on sd activity)
- Downloads a fixed version of pifba for joypad compability
- Added RTC (Real Time Clock) configuration for DS3231
- Map log and tmp folders to ramdisk
- Swap ram to disk only if strictly needed
- Replaces the samba server with an FTP server (more resource-friendly)
- Replaces OpenSSH with DropBear ssh server (more resource-friendly)
- Removes avahi-daemon, you cannot use retropie.local in local network, but retropie.lan still works