If you don't have any other problems with SketchUp my guess is that this is not a GPU problem. I'd say one of the formats or more likely one of the exporters/importers used for conversion messed things up.
There are several potential problems at play here.
You are converting a solid model into a polygon model (based on the picture you posted) or the IGS exporter already did. That means the model needs to be rastered – just like a vector drawing can be rastered into a pixel image. There's no way of saying for sure how that is done since we don't know the exporter. The polygon model will always be an approximation of the solid model and can therefore never be quite as detailed. That in itself doesn't have to be a problem but the fact that a software has to decide where to be sloppy and where to put much detail usually is.
Therefore there is also the possibility that the geometry itself somewhere got messed up. Double polys, polys not in order for stripes, unwelded vertices, flipped normals, unneeded or missing information on a feature, freakshow geometry – no matter what, something might have gotten wrong along the way. Take a couple of these problems and throw them together and not even a brand new machine can handle your messed up model unless the renderer is written to explicitly cope with these mistakes.
And that brings us to the software displaying the model. Something might just be wrong there because the software doesn't know how to handle the model. Unfortunately changing formats for 3D models is not as simple as changing formats for a pixel image. There has never been a definitive format for 3D data. The actual geometry, its translation, orientation and scale, the coordinate system, UV maps, textures, animation, bones, physical properties – all these could be saved in a file but are not needed. Or are expected but were not saved.
I've seen a lot of models at work that our clients came up with that got torn to shreds just by moving them from their software to max (which is our program of choice).
Usually converting models goes hand in hand with creating problems. So our best guess is to try different formats in hope that things work out better there, either because another format is supported natively or the ex-/importers work better.
I took a look at the web-interface of Fusion 360 and it offers a lot more options than the software itself:
There even is an option for Sketchup.
Do you want to give this a try? The only downside is that I have to wait for an email with the file when using the web-interface.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.Second thing is : wow, it seems really accurate. For now, my build is waiting for Kite's SAIO board, i just finished dremeling what i was needing to dremel. So i know well the shell and it looks like the real one.
I will check some measurements and try to put my 3D designs inside just to see if everything fits good. I'll let you know
Hey, this is awesome! And really good looking! Thanks for sharing.Then i thought... oh, i must start using this model.
So the devil took my hand over the touch-pad and i imported your IGS into an Adobe Photoshop 3D layer. The model is handled better than in Sketchup and my laptop was dealing the model very fluently ; so it might be an issue with the import settings within Sketchup (even if i didn't see anything related to options while importing...)
I played a bit with the camera and i thought that i must integrate this model to one of my current graphical projects... So i ended with this lol.
This is the Retail Box for GameBoy Zero cartridges i have designed based on the PSD file provided by VeteranGamer in this post , with the StormTrooper theme screenshots by HoolyHoo found in this post
I have had plans for creating a retail-like box for my GBZ once it's done and it's fun to see others work in the same direction.