Beginner Soldering Questions Before Starting

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
dis.ruptor

Beginner Soldering Questions Before Starting

Post by dis.ruptor » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Finally decided to start my Minty Pi Lite, almost have all of the pieces in the mail. I purchased the recommended Yihua and everything seems to be in order.

I noticed it has a voltage tester and this is probably a really dumb question, but I’m just wondering if I can use that as a multimeter to test continuity, and if so how to do that. I’ve seen several cheap multimeters online so if not it’s not a big deal. Just wanted to ask before I purchased one as well. Can’t wait to begin!

LilTrublMakr

Re: Beginner Soldering Questions Before Starting

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:47 am

Yes, a multimeter is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to the point of mandatory for testing your connections. You just need one that has a continuity mode on it which even most cheap ones do these days. The icon should look like the left side, and if you have the icon on the right, it means that it will put out a tone if there is continuity which I recommend also.

dis.ruptor

Post by dis.ruptor » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:11 am

Thank you so much, really appreciate the help and device. Can’t wait for all my parts to come in and get started on this. Any recommended multimeters, or will just any cheap one do? I definitely want one that beeps when you have a continuity.

LilTrublMakr

Post by LilTrublMakr » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Any cheap one should do for anything handheld electronic. I wouldn't go putting it in an electrical outlet though. I have the red etekcity that I got on amazon for $12ish.

dis.ruptor

Post by dis.ruptor » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:15 pm

I went ahead and got one of those, forgot to get VHB and Kapton tape too so I already had other things I needed anyways. Thanks for the help!